Have you been toying with the idea for building a career as a housekeeper within a Royal home? We can certainly understand the attraction. After all, we’re dedicated to all things domestic with regards to the finest members of society. It’s what we do. That said, are you fully aware of the responsibility that comes with it? You see, working in a Royal Home sounds like a lot of fun, and it certainly can be. However, there is much that goes with the role.
You can’t just stumble into such a job. You need to prove that you are the best of the best. But, once you’re in, you need to maintain your position by providing nothing short of excellence every single day. There’s no slacking off and taking the job for granted. When dealing with Royalty, you have to give it your all.
Unless you’re prepared to do so then we would advise closing this window now and moving on to something a little more relaxed. That said, if you wanted relaxed, you wouldn’t be contemplating working in a Royal Home to begin with. You want to work in a career that you can be exceptionally proud of.
Well, if we haven’t frightened you off just yet, then we just as well give you some information on the daily responsibilities required from housekeepers working within a Royal Home. Read on to find out!
1 – Cleaning
First things first, you’ll be required to clean the Royal Home in its entirety. There’s no half-hearting a job like this. You can’t cut corners or “sweep dust under the rug”. You’re required to keep a Royal Home in the most pristine of conditions.
Obviously, in most cases you will be working alongside other people so you will have the required support. That said, you will evidently be required to work well as a team, though equally as able to perform on your own.
- Dusting all surfaces and curtains etc
- Vacuuming throughout all carpeted areas
- Sweeping / Mopping laminate and stone flooring
- All laundry duties including replacing linens daily
- Waxing floors regularly
- In many cases you’ll be required to cook and prepare food
- Otherwise you’ll be required to serve it and/or clean up afterwards
- Heavy cleaning windows, doors and furniture
- Antique furniture maintenance
- Polishing and maintenance of all silverware and cutlery
- Watering and tending to plants inside the household
These will be the bulk of a housekeeper’s responsibilities. However, they will vary depending on the job. So, you may be required to take on more responsibility, or you may be required to do less but on a much grander scale. In any case, you will be required to carry out your duties to the highest possible standard.
2 – Any other duties asked of you
When working in a Royal Home, you will likely be required to take on tasks that are not in your job description. Naturally, it’s not the sort of job where you can simply decline because “it’s not what you get paid to do”. If you are a member of the Royal Household Staff, then you will do whatever is required of you. Often it will mean working extra hours and doing things that you might not want to do. However, it is all part and parcel of working in such a prestigious environment.
It might seem as though we are trying to talk candidates out of applying, but we’re not. It is important that you are fully aware of the difficulties involved with such prestigious work. It doesn’t come easy, but in the same breath; the rewards are immense.
- First of all, you have the honour of being one of few people, working in a royal household. Not everyone gets the privilege and the prestigious position alone is often reward enough.
- Following that, the pay is very good when compared with housekeeping positions in other areas.
- There are often benefits. Whilst this is not a legal requirement, when you go above and beyond for your employers, you will often find that their generosity is incredibly rewarding.
If you can put up with the pressure of working to such high standards, then this job can be incredibly easy. All that is required is that you do what is asked of you and you perform to your best ability. If that sounds like something which you can do with ease, then you will certainly thrive in this role.
Interested in exploring a career in a Royal Household?
If you’re interested in applying as a candidate for a housekeeper in a Royal Home, then feel free to get in contact with us today. Alternatively, you can view our candidates page before hand and see what is required of you. If you have the relevant qualifications and you feel like you have what it takes, then we’d love to hear from you!